Be of good mind and cheer. Delegate if you have an attitude of yuck. Start this process right after the birth.
double pot boiler
mortar and pestle
Little tiny spoon – tiny enough to assist in the filling of capsules
Lemongrass – a couple stalks
Ginger: fresh – a couple inches
Fresh Chilies – small handful
*don’t take when body is fighting infection. Mastitis is intensified by taking capsules of placenta. Refrain from taking in evening — it may keep you up. Capsules are good up to a year if stored dry in a freezer.
1. Have placenta in a bowl for transportation from mother to kitchen.
2. Gently wash off excess blood.
3. Cut off the cord – tough isn’t it?!
4. Pour an inch of water into double pot boiler and bring water to a boil.
5. Add lemongrass, chilies, and ginger.
6. Place the placenta in the double pot boiler.
7. Be amazed at the experience.
8. Watch for 10 to 15 minutes as it steams.
9. Flip placenta over and steam for another 10 to 15 minutes. Lounge. Deflate birth pool.
10. Stop steaming when the blood is cooked out of the placenta: Find this by sticking a fork in it. If blood comes out, then keep steaming. If blood does not come out, then stop steaming.
11. Place placenta on a clean cutting board.
12. Cut the placenta into 2 wide centimeter strips.
13. Place placenta strips onto cookie sheet.
14. Start your oven on a very, very low setting. We are dehydrating here, not cooking.
15. Place placenta strips on cookie sheet into hotish oven. Gaze at sleeping newborn.
16. Wait all day until strips are brittle. Check on resting mama and baby.
17. Test by crushing a piece in mortar and pestle. If it can be smashed into dust, then they are ready. Thicker pieces may need to cook longer until they are ready to be crushed into powder.
18. Crush all placenta strips into powder with mortar and pestle.
19. Transfer into jar.
20. Use little tiny spoon to fill capsules with placenta powder – or scoop placenta powder with both sides of capsule and fit together. Use those amazing fine motor skills of yours.
21. Place capsules into fridge.