After humming and hahhing about how to write this post, I have examined my belief that an empowered and confident dad brings value to the birth process. After all, birth is women’s business. Here are five reasons why I believe a man needs to involve himself with the birth of his child.
1. A study done by University of Missouri researchers found that Men who are engaged with childbirth education and birth process have better health outcomes for mama and baby.
2. In the hospital setting, hospitals are legally bound to listen to the requests of their birthing clients. A composed and compelling dad can advocate for the birth plan and make the difference between a failed breastfeeding attempt and the establishment of a satisfactory breastfeeding relationship.
3. Many women report how much they gained from having their birth partner present through the birth time even if it looked like he didn’t do much else than sitting or standing. The constant emotional support can be strongly felt and much appreciated when the dad is confident and composed.
4. Dads who are engaged in the birth process set the stage for strong family bonds.
5. Dads who are positively engaged in the birth process experience higher relationship satisfaction.
If you agree with men being involved in the birth process, what benefits do you see or have seen in your life?